Robert “Bob” M. Speeter has over 35 years of experience as a thoughtful attorney practicing in a variety of areas and concentrating on criminal defense law, medical malpractice, personal injury and wrongful death.
Bob now offers a new convenient location, which offers FREE & EASY PARKING, at 207 E. Lake Street, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN, 55408. It is now the client’s choice of what location is more convenient for them!
Bob graduated from the University of Minnesota as an accounting major in 1981. He earned his law degree at Hamline University School of Law in 1984. At Hamline, Bob was selected to the Hamline Law Review based on his writing skills, published an article in the Hamline Law Review, and was elected and served as Operations Editor of theHamline Law Review.
Bob was admitted to the Minnesota Bar in 1984. He is also admitted in the United States District Court for Minnesota, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Federal Court of Claims. He is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association.
Subsequent to passing the Minnesota Bar Exam, Bob also passed the Minnesota CPA exam in 1986 and obtained his state certificate as a Certified Public Accountant. Although Bob chose not to undertake a two-year internship to become a licensed CPA, his knowledge of financial matters gives him a distinct advantage in cases where financial matters are at issue.
Within a few years, Bob’s practice evolved into a primary concentration upon criminal defense, serious personal injury, medical malpractice and wrongful death. Bob believes strongly in seeing the best in all people and handling cases in a manner that communicates that vision to the opposition, jury and judge.
Shanlee Speeter, BSN, MMPM, ACP works as a Senior Medical Paralegal with Bob to ensure that all clients medical needs are properly addressed. Shanlee formerly worked in multiple roles within the pharmaceutical and medical industry and has a background of education in nursing, business, advanced national certified paralegal and project management. Shanlee works very close with clients to help them get the medical care they may need with a very extensive personal referral list. She also has extensive experience with third party insurance payers, subrogation vendors, pharmaceutical products, CMS and insurance coding.
A few additional highlights from Bob’s 30+ year career include:
- Member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, recognizing Robert Speeter as one of the top Trial Lawyers in America resulting from a multi-million dollar medical malpractice settlement.
- Successfully brought the lawsuit against the Minnesota Department of Public Safety to implement ignition interlock in Minnesota which has made thousands of individuals that have had their licenses revoked and cancelled for alcohol violations eligible to drive legally. City Pages “A Kinder, Gentler DWI”
- Successfully defended attempted murder case to jury verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity for first time in Minnesota in 17 years.
- Resolution of hundreds of misdemeanor and felony cases in state and federal court from simple DUI to first degree murder.
- Recent successful personal injury suit resulting in a settlement of well over $1,500,000.
- Successful suit with member Patrick Johnson to stop expulsion of high school senior for marijuana use cited as one of the “Lawsuits of the Year” by Minnesota Law and Politics,Dec /Jan 2004 issue.
- Written many briefs and argued cases before Minnesota Supreme Court and 8th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully brought an historic preservation suit to stop demolition of The State Theatre, which ultimately was the catalyst to the revitalization of the theatre district in Minneapolis.
ADMISSIONS & ASSOCIATIONS
U.S. District Court – Minnesota
U.S. Court of Appeals
U.S. Court of Claims
Minnesota State Bar Association
Hamline University School of Law
University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Business
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Criminal Felony Defense
Criminal Vehicular Operation
Assault With a Deadly Weapon
Criminal Sexual Conduct
Controlled Substance Crime
White Collar Crimes
Criminal Misdemeanor Defense
Domestic Assault/ Assault
Driving after Revocation
Driving after Cancellation
Violation of Order for Protection
Vehicle and Property Forfeiture/License Reinstatement